Geographical Areas Covered by the Society
It is the Society’s intention to collect, and hold in our library, as much family history information as possible for the area within approximately a 10 mile radius of Dereham (formerly East Dereham). The parishes are shown below. Note: Places with prefixes East, West, Little and Great are listed alphabetically under ‘E’,’W’,’L’ and ‘G’.
The Society aims to record information for posterity by transcribing and recording original documents, memorials etc. for the area around Dereham. Volunteers are invited to help with our current projects or undertake new ones. Practical help and advice are always available. The results of our projects are reproducced for sale (see Publications List).
The parishes that we are interested in are listed below.
Please use the Google map below to see where the parishes are, or look down the alphabetical list of parishes beneath. Where available, names will be hyperlinked to relevant Wikipedia articles with more information about each parish.
- Barford, Barnham Broom, Bawdeswell, Beeston All Saints, Beetley, Billingford, Bintree, Bittering, Booton, Brandiston, Brandon Parva, Brisley, Bylaugh,
- East Dereham (or Dereham), East Bilney, East Bradenham, East Lexham, East Tuddenham, Easton, Elsing,
- Garvestone, Gateley, Great Dunham, Great Fransham, Great Melton, Great Ryburgh, Great Witchingham, Gressenhall, Griston, Guestwick, Guist,
- Letton, Litcham, Little Dunham, Little Ellingham, Little Fransham, Little Ryburgh, Little Witchingham, Longham, Lyng,
- Saham Toney, Salle, Scarning, Scoulton, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Stibbard, Swannington, Swanton Morley,
- Watton, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St. Peter, Welborne, Wellingham, Wendling, West Bradenham, Westfield, West Lexham, Weston Longville, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Whitwell, Wicklewood, Wood Dalling, Wood Norton, Wood Rising, Worthing, Wramplingham,
Other settlements, now hamlets:
- Dillington (Dereham)
- Great Bittering (Gressenhall)
- Godwick (Tittleshall)
- Greinstein (Mileham)
- Kipton (Weasenham)
- Potthorpe (Brisley)
Within reason we are prepared to increase our area if, for instance, a member has a particular interest in an adjacent parish or if valuable and useful data requires a good home.
If you have any such information and are willing to let us add it to our records, please let us know.